Last week I presented a “Hands-on” seminar for the Greater Warrenton Chamber of Commerce to help small businesses use Constant Contact email marketing to help grow their business. The seminar was based on these 8 Tips to Boost Your Email Marketing. Sigma College of Small Business chose to be a Constant Contact Partner and Certified Local Expert last year because of the ease of use for developing professional emails and their support for social media channels.
1. Add Value
Bottom Line – people will only open, read and act on emails they find consistently valuable.
- “Email special” discounts, sales and insider info
- Industry and community news – edited to highlight the value to your audience
- Opportunity to interact and share
2. Keep it Opt-In
Maintain a conservative definition of “opt-in” and manage your list to keep it that way.
- Sending to people that don’t want to hear from you can be negative
- Building a relationship they started is always better
3. Subject, Subject, Subject (and headline to Match)
You have a split second to catch their attention, don’t waste it! And confirm their “open” decision with a clear, related headline.
- “Our Monthly Newsletter” = “I can read this later” = “Will read when I have more time”
- YOUR AUDIENCE WILL NEVER HAVE MORE TIME!
- “Your Back Will Thank You”, “Get the CEO off Your Back”, “Are You Giving Your Profits Away?”
- Use a txt headline at the top of the email to confirm it’s not a trick
4. The Length and Frequency Principle
Keep frequent emails short, with one or two timely key points. Less frequent emails can be longer.
- A daily newspaper doesn’t publish each day with news from last week – if you are sending daily or weekly, have content that changes daily or weekly.
5. Using Lists
Using multiple lists gives your audience choices on content and frequency to match their needs.
- Monthly Newsletter, Weekly Specials, Daily Tip OR Engaged, Recently Married, With Children
- Tell each audience what they should expect and then deliver!
- Consistency – Delivery, Content, Format, From
6. Keep your emails consistent
Deliver at promised times with expected content that matches subject
- Consistent format will help brand recognition and using a recognizable email will help
7. “Join My Email List”
Ask people to join your email list – tell them why they should and then deliver.
- Put “Join My Email List” on web sites, Fan Pages and in email signatures
8. Social Media Promotion
Use the Constant Contact social media tools, but don’t stop there!
- “Look for ‘Your Back Will Thank You!’ in tomorrow’s monthly email newsletter.” Join Now!
- Connect your social media to Constant Contact and use the share and tweet functions.
Email marketing can be especially useful to small business owners because it can convey a personal message to clients on a consistent basis at very little cost. If you have questions about getting your email marketing working better, post a comment or contact us at info@SigmaBizLearning.com or (703) 468-1465.